Tuesday 30 January 2007

Lost in Translation

People seek Inspiration in different ways. A colleague of mine likes to print off words of wisdom by various intellectuals and post them up on the wall in his office as a shrine to all things clever.

I think he thinks it makes him look bright, but I doubt he understands any of them. (He certainly doesn't practice their teachings, but that's another story)

Anyway, not one to be outdone, I decided it was time that one of mine went up on the wall of wisdom.

However, what I wanted to post 'Don't let the Bastards Get you down!" is hardly acceptable on a police station wall.

So, being the lateral thinking, 'out of the box, blue sky' type of guy I am, I concoct a cunning plan.

If I were to translate my saying into Russian, who'll know? Ha Ha, it can be my little joke, won't I just be the funniest cop in my chair!

So off I trot to trusty babelfish to translate my text, it works a treat..

Не препятствуйте сволочам получить вас вниз

'Great' thinks I, rubbing my hands together and giggling like a schoolgirl on laughing gas.

Better just translate it back, just to check...


Do not prevent bastards to obtain you downward

Hmm...

Not sure which makes more sense!

It's going on the wall anyway!



© Bob Slot 2007


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The old schoolboy (and old polis!!) Latin translation for your "motto" is "Non Illegitimi Carborundum".

That would look good on a fancy coat of arms in the centre of a cap/helmet badge, no?

.. and Bobby, do not let them! You are doing a great job.

PCFrankyFact said...

Top one Bob.
Let us know wot happens.

Anonymous said...

Carefule with that one, Dave - i had that on my wall and some smarmy git used to wander up once a week and say it should be "Nil Illegitimatus Carborundum."

After a while I just took to smiling sweetly and asking them how exactly they thought I cared

Anonymous said...

Our SMT used to put posters up all over the place inciting us to greater goals and achievements. One night I put up one of my own, saying:

Don't say "I might fail." Be positive. Say "I will fail."

All the ground troops read it and laughed and it lasted 10 days before a visiting Inspector noticed it and tore it down. Of course I coughed to putting it up when the witch hunt began and was criticised for my cynicism (rather than for my sense of humour).

Friend :) said...

Marry a man/woman you love to talk to. As you get older, their conversational skills will be as important as any other.
___________________
Sightline Payments Kirk Sanfordonline bingo

Friend :) said...

All animals except man know that the ultimate of life is to enjoy it.
_______________
BingoSecret Service

Kamen said...

There is only one blasphemy, and thatis the refusal to experience joy.

Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion
__________________
skraplotter

poker texas holdem tips