Wednesday 10 January 2007

"I hate your lot!"

I was out with a friend of mine the other night; we had a couple of drinks and then things got around (As they often do) to “I hate your lot!” (It didn’t end up with “I love you” or “You’re my best mate you are” We didn’t drink quite that many)

Now, I have known this mate of mine since we were at Infants school together. We have been mates over 30 years, we have always hung around together, he was best man at my wedding etc. You might say he’s my best buddy.

He is a hardworking, tax paying man, never been arrested, perhaps had a ticket for not wearing his seatbelt once in his youth, Joe Average really, not someone with any particular axe to grind.

But yet he is very anti Police, and although I don’t particularly agree with him, I can sympathise with his point of view. Let me explain…

I was out walking with this friend of mine one day (Walking around Hills and Mountains is my passion, one of them anyway!) And on getting back to his car we discovered it to be quite badly damaged, the bumper was hanging off, someone had obviously hit him and driven off. Now he was obviously a little shocked, but then seeing that someone had left a note on his windscreen he saw a glimmer of hope.

He opened the note and read it, (No it wasn’t that old chestnut “Everyone thinks I’m leaving my details, but I’m not, so hard luck!” (That’s not a licence to use that one either by the way!)) It actually gave the registration number of the vehicle that had hit his and a bit of a summary of what had happened, all jotted down by a helpful witness.

He dropped me off at home and made plans to report it to the police, the next day I was at work and was walking through our front desk area when I bumped into my pal, he had come in to report the damage, the civilian counter clerk, seeing that I knew my friend decides ‘Ooh I might be able to left shoulder this one’ “Oh right” she says “If you know this man you can take the details for the accident report can’t you”

She was gently reminded that it was in fact her job, not mine and that since I was his friend and indeed was with him at the time of the accident, how could I possibly be seen as impartial?

Eventually she agreed, and after some raised eyebrows and a few thoughts of ‘Where has the professionalism of the police gone’ on behalf of my mate she took down his particulars (Oooh Eerr Missus) and off he went, with a freshly filled out producer form (Form HORT/1 for all in the know) because he hadn’t taken his driving licence with him.

Now when he gets home, can he find his driving licence? Can he hell! It’s disappeared into that place that things disappear into whenever it is extremely important that you find them. He applies for a new one, but obviously it doesn’t come in time for the seven day period in which he gets to produce it.

In the meantime the accident report is sent to a neighbouring rural force (We were out walking remember) to be allocated to an officer for further investigation.

Queue the long wait…. Over 3 months before he hears anything else (That Royal mail has a lot to answer for eh?) Then out of the blue an officer rings him up…

Officer “Yeah, it’s about that accident you reported”

My Mate “Oh yeah, great stuff, you got him”

Officer “No not yet, look I need some more details, where on the car was damaged?”

My Mate “Well, it was the front bumper”

Officer “Ok great, thanks that should do it, bye”

My Mate “Oh bye”

Then that’s it! That’s the end of the story.

My mate gets his car damaged by someone who can’t be arsed to leave his details, he reports it to a police employee who can only just be arsed to take some of his details down when she is ‘advised’ for trying to wangle her way out of it, she then sends it off to some other force, who sit on it for a while then give it to a bobby who either can’t be arsed to investigate it or if he has investigated it can’t be arsed to tell the victim. These are all his perceptions of the incident, but I think they are prety valid.

And what does the victim get….

A good bollocking off another counter clerk for producing his driving licence late!

So, yeah, I know where he is coming from really, and it’s a shame. If only we thought about these things a little more and worked on improving them, I’m sure we could improve the publics’ perception of the police.


If we are losing the support of people like my mate, then I think a serious think about a remedy is required. This is not his only dealings with the police and his views are not just based on this incident, however I will save the other stories for another time.


© Bob Slot 2007

5 comments:

TotallyUn-Pc said...

I couldn't agree more Bob, Unfortunately, there are lots (if not most) of fine people in our job, but often beleagoured.
The skill is not letting it show. A lot of officers lack that skill and thats when we become our own worst enemy with the people who matter.

I used to tell my probationers that the one fifth burglary they attend that day, may often be that victims first ever close up view of a uniform police officer, so make it count. But now, I work with older in service officers, on a job that effectively waits for something to happen, rather than gets out there.... they have a lot of time on their hands, and often shame me with their attitude to the general public. They forget why we are here.

Anonymous said...

I am a little torn with this post. Having been a bobby for 10 years & like you I have 2 or 3 very close mates since childhood, over 30 years.

In the main I understand what you are saying & agree with the issue relating to alienating decent folks. (This is mainly in the road traffic arena I suspect).

However, on a more personal (friendship not police related) level I would be disappointed if my friend started to disparage my occupation excessively. (Fine if he has ordinary complaints). What I mean is, we often tell each other that we would die for each other such is the strength of our friendship. It is a two way street, a good friend should support before becoming a critic. I only mention this because I have a personal dislike for scenarios such as being in the pub & a friend of a friend gets introduced & soon as he finds out your occupation he starts. I’m sure you’ve been there. Nobody ever seems to want to target negative comments at there profession.
So I would fully expect my close mates to direct their “really” negative comments elsewhere. In fact I expect them to see through day to day bad things & be proud of me for the job I do. Which they are.

In relation to the front desk point. Yeah sure you were right you couldn’t become technically involved, but (just a thought not a criticism honest) could you not have overseen the task & when suggestion of horti raised then directed your mate to either nip home & bring it back (without horti being issued) or had a licence check done for the report. It only requires licence number & dates from/until. (unfortunately everyone needs a licence, even you when an accident occurs, that’s the way it is)

What I saying is that you do a fantastic job in very difficult times. We are hampered by all the problems discussed on Copperfield. If I am right in my interpretation of your post then at the very least your mate should meet you halfway & not discuss it / have a pop. I would like to think that if he valued you as much as you obviously value him then he would but his own niggles aside & be proud of you. I am & I don’t even know you.

Fight the good fight brother.

Sorry if I seem harsh, people having a pop off duty is a bit of a pet hate.

Anonymous said...

oh & thanks for the link & the kind promotion. i will return the favour.

f**k emm all

Robert 'Bob' Slot said...

Thanks for the reply Granny, I can tell you have given this some serious thought. I can very much see your point of view and sympathise with both sides.

To come to the defence of my friend, please remember that this is my rant on my blog, not his, I was merely pointing out one of the reasons in which I can sympathise with him, he is after all a law abiding, tax paying member of the public. He is also a victim, and as such should be able to expect a certain level of service from the authorities. He most certainly didn't get that.

Also as I say, that is not his only unfortunate dealings with the police. He has in fact had a few (Not through any fault of his own) and although he resects me and my work (Indeed I think that he thinks I do a good job) he has also lost a lot of confidence in the police because of his observations.

Anonymous said...

Sure, point taken.

An old bobby I know once told me that a neighbour whom he didn’t really know knocked him out of bed one day (on nights) & wanted to complain about an issue he had. As if he was making a formal complaint.

This chap was a plumber apparently. So one day my mate had an issue with his waterworks, so to speak. So he went round to this chaps house & knocked loudly, then gave him an earful. Thus returning the favour.

I use this just to highlight some of the bizarre ideas that people have about us.

How many times do gas men or mechanics get targeted in the pub? Because Joe blow once had a bad experience with them.

I’m sure your pal is a great mate (30 years he must be). I just get a bit over protective towards bobby’s.

The real point being, in our job people are always queuing up to complain, but the praise department always seems quiet.